hover logo, scroll with mouse wheel
LinkExchange SearchMe WhatWeDo AboutUs Sitemap Next page Drying onions: common truths and misconceptions
1. Should the boxes be plastic or wooden?
2. How long will a wooden box last using these storage systems?
They should be wooden, without a doubt. Plastic boxes won't even last five years, and will work badly because they are easily bent under strain. Plastic also goes brittle and fragile over time.
To tell the truth, we don't actually know! The first boxes, manufactured in 2001 are still in perfect working order. We can say for sure that they will last 15 years at the very least. They don't require any maintenance, only protection from the elements.
1. The planks must be completely straight, and the boxes must be perfectly square, otherwise the air will pass between the boxes instead of through the produce; pressurised air will always search for the path of least resistance.
2. The boxes must be strong and firm. If not, they will only last for a couple of years. However, a well made box can withstand a lot more than one that's poorly made.
3. Another reason why the boxes must be straight and strong is so that they can hold the weight of up to five more full boxes stacked on top.
4. The boxes must not have any sharp edges on the inside, because this can damage the onions or potatoes.
The boxes, which are made from five different types of wood, are machine-manufactured. Why is this? So that they are perfectly straight and square; if they weren't, the ventilated air would flow between boxes instead of through them.
Warning: If a client wishes to invest in a storage system with boxes or "bins", but they want to make their own boxes, we won't sell them the rest of the system. We refuse, because we have seen too many failures resulting from badly made boxes.
Part of the storage box manufacturing process in the Poolingpartners factory
Box assembly with the client
Transporting these boxes pre-assembled would be foolish, because they take up so much space. That's why we transport them unassembled, with the four sides and base stacked loose. That way we can fit 100 boxes into a 40 cubic foot shipping container. The boxes come with a special glue (resistant even against sea water), special nails and certain tools, including a nail gun (each box panel takes 60 nails) and a compressor.
Once the boxes reach their destination, whether it's Chile or China, Poolingpartners will send a Dutch technician to assemble the boxes. Depending on the number of boxes, two or three local helpers will be required, as well as a pallet lift, forklift or goods lift. If you let the Dutch technician listen to his own music, then he can assemble up to 80 boxes per day.
3. How long will a wooden box last using these storage systems?
4. Why must the wooden storage boxes be made with great precision and should be very robust?
5. How are these wooden storage boxes manufactured?
6. How are these boxes transported to the client?
7. How are these wooden storage boxes assembled upon arrival?
To mechanise your post harvest processes:
+1 239 3002374
or use our (preferable)
our contact form
Address: Farm San Isidro, Volcán, Panama.