Storage boxes for for box storage systems.
The wooden boxes for onion or potato storage have to be constructed with special attention, because:
- The boxes have to be very straight and square, otherwise the suction or pressure systems will lose far too much pressure by escaping air in the slots created by the badly formed boxes.
- The boxes have to be constructed very ruggedly otherwise they would not last more than a couple of years. Normally well constructed boxes will last more than 10 years.
- The boxes not only have to be ruggedly built but have to be able to sustain the weight of some times 4 to 5 boxes on top of each other.
- The inside of the boxes should not have sharp edges otherwise the onions or potatoes will be damaged.
2 wooden boxes for potato and onion storage.
Totally inadequate boxes for box-storage with a suction- or pressure- system. Just imagine where the air will go.
One thing is for sure: NOT THROUGH THE PRODUCT!
These kind of boxes could be used in storage systems with lateral ventilation as described in the systems using air-mix units or combivents.
Normally the boxes are made in 5 loose pieces. Two fronts, two sides and the pallet like bottom. In this way they can be shipped in a 40 foot High Cube container. About 120 boxes will fit in a High Cube. Together with the boxes especially formed nails and glue will be sent. It will take 2 men about 5 minutes to assemble one box.
Box for pressure system.
Box for suction system.
Have a good look at the differences, between a box for a pressure system and a box for a suction system.
Measurements of a Standard Box Size are:
- Length: 1.600 mm
- Width:1.195 mm
- Height: 1.232 mm. All outside measurements.
Capacity of this standard size:
1.000 Kg of onions
1.250 Kg of potatoes.
Sometimes lower boxes are seen when storing especially delicate onions. But the smaller the box the higher the costs per kg of product. The standard size is very easy to handle with a simple forklift truck.
The boxes for a pressure system need hermetically closed sides, while the boxes for the suction system need ventilation slots in the four sides.
The inside of an wooden box for onion or potato storage.
Two wooden storage boxes for a suction storage system.